Coca-Cola 600 no image

Published on May 29th, 2008 | by Ron Ripple

The Penalties are flying…

NASCAR handed down some stiff penalties to the Haas CNC team for altering the location of the upper mounting points on the rear wing of the No. 66 and No. 70 car this past Saturday.  Supposedly the NASCAR officials got a tip from a garage “rat” claiming the team had done some modifications to their car that would better the aerodynamics.  NASCAR immediately impounded both cars this past Saturday and took them to their secret research and development center located in Concord, NC.  Once the infractions were confirmed by “the secret” research and development center, the Haas CNC team was then hit HARD with the penalties.

1. No. 66 driver Scott Riggs penalized 150 Championship points
  2. No. 66 Crew Chief Bootie Barker fined $100,000 and suspended for 6 races
  3. No. 66 Car Chief Derrick Jennings also suspended for 6 races
  4. No. 70 Driver Johnny Sauter penalized 150 Championship points
  5. No. 70 Crew Chief Dave Skog fined $100,000 and suspended for 6 races
  6. No. 70 Car Chief Thomas Harris also suspended for 6 races
  7. No. 66 and No. 77 team owners Joe Custer and Margaret Haas each lost 150 owner point

Let’s just say the teams took a beating for doing a very stupid thing.  Neither one of the cars were in the top 20 for the year and after watching the Coca-Cola 600 this past weekend, they still finished 26th and 35th in their back up cars.  Both teams were sitting mid to back of the pack with the modifications, so you have to wonder who made the decision in the garage to make the change?  Whomever that person was… they need to put a blind fold on and let everyone take a swing at him.  The team owners (if they weren’t involved) need to think about their program and make some changes.  Last time Haas CNC made the headlines was when rumors were going around about Tony Stewart and the possibility of him joining the team as an owner/driver after his contract comes up.

Photobucket

I always say that it’s better to have “bad press” than no press at all.  But I don’t think this kind of bad press is doing anything for these guys.  It’s only costing them money and making them look like a bunch of cheaters.  I know teams always try and push the limit on modifying the cars and making changes that will benefit them, but when you cross the line, it officially becomes illegal.   If I were Margaret Haas, I’d make these crew chiefs come over to my house and weed my front lawn… and I can guaranttee Margaret Haas has a large front yard.

What do you guys think about the penalties?  You think maybe the crew chiefs had no clue they were breaking the rules or do you think they knew what they were doing and trying to get a competitive advantage over the rest of the feild?

On a side note: There were some small penalties handed out to three members of the #88 Nationwide Series team for getting into a brawl on Saturday after the #20 car intentionally gave the #88 car a love tap during one of the cautions on Saturday night’s race.

new york carpet cleaning

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to The Penalties are flying…

1. Craig says:

Ron,
    Did you talk to Bootie yet? He seems like a pretty clean cut guy to try to pull that kind of stuff.
    The Nationwide battle was missing the young driver. I want to know where he was??

2. Jason says:

NASCAR definitely isn’t going to be going out of business anytime soon. These guys are profitable.

haha

3. Alan P says:

The news gets worse! whenever nascar impounds your car and finds an issue, they get to keep the car. so thats going to hurt haas cnc even more

4. Ryan says:

You would think with the team not a threat for the title and the way that they finished, that would almost be penalty enough. If they thought that the change helped the aerodynamics and they finished the way they did, let them keep using it. That just means more points for the teams that really have a chance. And maybe this will make up Tony’s mind if he really wants to go to CNC racing.

5. Rick says:

I read the NASCAR announcement about the violation of the wing mounts. However, what exactly did the Haas CNC teams do? Was the wing in it relative location (as the other cars) or did they have a mechanism to move the wing while on the track? I have a problem understanding the significance without knowing more details. Does anyone have a clue to exactly what the violation was?

Rick… I was wondering the same thing and here’s what I got from NASCAR. “The curved brackets have a number of holes in the lower portion to offer different wing angles, but only one hole at the top. After initial inspection, in this case on Thursday, the bolts holding the wing in place are “sealed.””

I’m trying to analize what this exactly means…. and it sounds like they may have done something with the mounting holes themselves. Hopefully we’ll hear something soon.

Wow those are really harsh penalties. I guess its as they say… its best to not try your luck getting away with stuff like that. I guess that its always going to be “better bad press than no press” for most, but in this case its just purely embarrassing for them .

8. Formula one is the highest profile motor racing series in the world.
    As a result the budgets involved are immense and advertising time and space are most expensive.

9. It’s come down to the point where only the major motor companies can afford to run an F1 team,and then only with some really good sponsorship from other major companies.
    Believe me, if you had money you might consider hiring the right people, finding some backing and starting a NASCAR team, you would not consider entering F1 unless your dad’s name is Honda.

11. Generic says:

Hey those are really harsh penalties. I guess its as they say… its best to not try your luck getting away with stuff like that. I guess that its always going to be “better bad press than no press” for most, but in this case its just purely embarrassing for them .