Entertaining no image

Published on February 4th, 2008 | by Ron Ripple

NASCAR vs. Superbowl

Ron watching Superbowl with WaltripAlright so I watched the Superbowl last night with Mr. Waltrip and a few buddies and I realized why I like NASCAR so much better.  The first half of the game was extremely boring… for the first 18 minutes we got to see two drives with one resulting in a field goal and another resulting in a touch down.  It was one of the lowest scoring Superbowls to this day until the very end.  But during the halftime show as much as I love Tom Petty, I felt like I was going to pass out.

The commercials were average this year.  My favorite one had to have been the Doritos commercial when the very sophisticated guy set up a mouse trap and then sets up a chair to watch it go down.  Then out of no where a huge mouse jumps out of the wall and beats him up for his bag of Doritos.  It had me chuckling.  But I do have to note there were a couple Daytona 500 commercials and then also a boring Carl Edward’s Clairitin commercial.

Not to be a downer about the Superbowl, but if this was a NASCAR race there would have been more lead changes than we would know what to do with.  There would be at least two re-starts due to accidents.  There would be no half time show.  And the finale would have been some sort of burn out and a possibility of someone climbing a fence or doing a back flip.  The best part of the four hour borefest that I went through last night was getting pumped up when I saw a Daytona 500 Nascar commercial.  I guess racing is just in my blood and I can not wait untill Daytona.

Congratulations to the NY Giants and their victory over the Patriots, it was well deserved and great to see an underdog come out and beat an undefeated team.  But all I have to say is that the Daytona 500 can not come fast enough.

What was your favorite part about the Superbowl?  Commercials?  Halftime Show?  The actual game?

nutritionist degree
pure omega 3 fish oil

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to NASCAR vs. Superbowl

1. Billy says:

I thought the game itself was good especially at the end. I do have to agree though the halftime show was non eventful.

Well I have to say there was no best part of the Superbowl for me, not much of a football fan. I will watch CFL occasionally if the Calgary Stampeders are playing, but just can’t get into it.
    I could watch racing 24/7 though, of course Nascar is absolutely at the top of my list, but if Nascar’s not on I’ll take any kind of racing. Which is kind of odd that someone who has always been too scared to learn how to drive(yes, I’m 32 and never driven in my life!) is so completely obsessed with cars (heck I’ll even watch the bikes!)and watching them go fast!

3. lou modestino says:

I’m an on and off again Patriots fan as well as covering all types of racing for various news outlets. Sunday’s game was by far the most exciting Super Bowl that I’ve ever seen! With the close score, it reminded me of some of the early NASCAR Cup races at Daytona where anything could happen as they came down for the checkered flag. Such as a wreck, flat tire, running out of gas and the like. We have not seen any exciting racing in the Cup Series in several years because of all of the extensive changes. Yes, the SuperBowl Half-Time Show is a lot of hype but has entertainment value especially for the younger fans at the game and at home on TV. Let’s face it, sports is the Entertainment Business. And NASCAR and company should give that a lot of thought. I’ve heard estimates that some 90 million fans watched the SuperBowl game on TV. That’s a very substantial market share. Wouldn’t NASCAR and the F1 salivate at the thoughts of getting that many viewers? I think so.

4. Rene says:

Well I couldn’t agree more with you. I’ve been known to ask my pastor to wrap it up early on “Race Day.” I’m one of those that starts off seated properly on the furniture.. as the race progresses, I begin to move to the edge of my seat and then finally find myself perched at the top of the couch telling Tony what to do. I love every last minute of a race.. well, maybe the cautions can be boring..unless you’re listening right. Love the commercials.. etc. etc. etc.. I didn’t watch the Super Bowl this year because I was sick but it sounds like I didn’t miss much.

5. Alan P says:

I was glued to the TV at the superbowl party I was at.

Ron!!! Hanging out with Waltrip eh?

GO NY GIANTS!

I don’t mean to say anything negative about the actual game… but the first three quarters were not very exciting considering how unreal the Patriots offense has been in the past. But the last quarter was good… I am just obsessed with NASCAR and can’t compare any other sport to it.

7. Kelly says:

Hey there! Blogging About Flugpo nominated you for the Excellent Blogger Award! Now, the rules are for you to nominate 10 blogs for excellence. Here is where you were nominated

Keep up the excellent blogging!

Kelly

8. ponykenobi says:

I like your blog, this post is really good, but please vary your topics, it will broad your readership.

9. beastmoon says:

I’m sure that I’m the only normal person here. Why would I think so? Because no one normal would have written anything like posts below on this kind of website.

10. _coaxke_ says:

11. Do you accept donations via Paypal?